Friday, July 30, 2010

Stephan Zacharias, the old timer in The Ruin, full page in East Oregonian


I got my copy of the Pendleton, Oregon East Oregonian newspaper last night and the full page feature on my friend Stephan Zacharias. Stephan is on special assignment to the Denali National Park this summer through September playing the role of a Forest Ranger circa 1920's.

Many of you have followed his daily postings with wonderful photos of moose in the front yard, bear, and the spectacular scenery of the park. Stephan plays an important role in interpreting historical figures. I video taped several of his performances at the High Desert Museum (which you can view on his website. There is a link on this blog.) Stephan explains in the newspaper feature and told me at the time we did the videos that he spends a tremendous amount of time researching the historical figures that he portrays. From all that he can glean from the archives, he writes a monologue that runs from 15 to 30 minutes. Not only does he become the character, he makes himself up and wardrobes himself historically correctly to portray the character he is portraying.

When you get to Denali or to Colonial Williamsburg, be sure to seek out and  enjoy a performance by Stephan Zacharias.

I think I've mentioned before on this blog that Stephan, inadvertently, provided valuable research for my novel The Ruin. I watched Stephan tanning deer hides at the High Desert Museum and asked questions about the process he was going through and he and fellow historical interpreter Bill Armstrong, who now produces programs for the History Channel, talked about brain tanning.

When I needed an old timer to quote in a newspaper article that my character could later use to help understand what he needed to do to tan a deer hide, Stephan graciously consented to let his name be used.
Well the city of Pendleton may be proud of their son, but there are many more Oregonians and now people from all over the world who visit Denali and Colonial Williamsburg who are proud of this young man and the amazing job that he so enthusiastically does.

Respectfully,
Kenneth Fenter

No comments: