Monday, July 5, 2010

The Bend Bulletin Visits the Ruin!

Saturday morning I woke earlier than usual and waited impatiently for the familiar sound of the newspaper to land on the driveway. It usually makes it's arrival long before daylight during the weekdays but a little later on the weekends. I went out and searched the drive by the porch and light over the garage doors. No paper yet. Started the coffee and settled back for the the final chapter of another self published book the autobiography of Darcy Wingo, Vietnam veteran and career helicopter pilot. Six AM. First cup of coffee finished. Checked the driveway once again. It's there! I slip the plastic rain cover off and unfold it as I walk back to the house. Above The Bulletin mast head is a small photo of a hand holding an untrimmed copy of The Ruin and next to it in 36pt red type the heading "Books made by hand" and the sub head "Local writer takes self-publishing to its extreme-community, B1.
I force myself to pour a second cup of coffee as I turn to the Community section and there are the center four columns with a photo of the author of The Ruin holding a copy on his knee with a grin and below a story by Bulletin feature writer David Jasper. As usual David wrote a very well tailored story of my novel and my efforts to bring the novel to life through the self publishing process with my own twist. 
I would love to re-produce the story here but copyright laws and ethics prevent that. However if you would like to see the original feature you can go to www.bendbulletin.com/communitylife It is free if you are a current print subscriber to the Bulletin. It does cost 50 cents to access the online newspaper for one day, if you are not a subscriber to the print edition or are not an online subscriber. The article appeared in the Saturday, May 15, 2010 edition.
I didn't realize people were so interested in the fact that I was doing my own printing and binding. That has drawn quite a bit of attention.

No comments: