Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Readers comments on The Ruin: "It is an incredible book."


Although an "official" book review has not appeared in a newspaper that I know of, I've received communication from those who have read The Ruin or who are in the process of reading it. These are the book reviews that count, as far as I'm concerned. I get it, that a favorable book review by a person who works for a newspaper or who writes book also, will help spur sales. But if a reader with similar taste in books tells someone else they have just finished a good read, that is a good book review.

The communications I get come either directly, by mail, e-mail, FaceBook, phone, or some indirectly as in the case of the first one below, which was sent to my daughter. Some communications have come in personal letters which have shared experiences of bullying and go on to share what the book meant to them. They are too personal to use to promote a book. I will cherish those letters forever. As with most of the thousands of first time novels that are published each year, The Ruin will have a long way to go to earn more than it takes to keep it out there. But in terms of making a difference in lives of those who have carried a weight for most of their lives, it may already be making a slight difference. That makes it worth the effort. 


"So exciting, Janelle! I'm up to page 266. It is an incredible book. Did your dad already know all of the "how to...survival" topics that he tells us about through Cliff before he wrote the book? It is such a good story and so informational... plus I had to think of Moombeam the other night when my husband and son observed our little backyard skunk beginning his evening meal with our compost goodies. I am sure Moonbeam is a lot cuter though."

"Hey Ken, from the first page of "The Ruin" I have not been able to put it down! Great book! My Jim can probably do all of the things Clifton does ... but he doesn't get the book until I am finished! You rock, Ken!"


For those of you who have communicated your thoughts on The Ruin, many thanks! Your thoughts are keeping it going.

Respectfully,
Kenneth Fenter

No comments: