Monday, May 10, 2010

Formating The Ruin for E-book using InDesign

Made progress today formating The Ruin as an EPUB. It is a learning curve. Fortunately the classes in Dreamweaver spent some time on HTML and the coding behind the Graphic Screen. I spent quite a few hours last week trying to get a consistent look in the file from chapter to chapter and even within the chapters themselves. One of the problems in the Ruin is the use of italics I employed to show the thought process of the main character Cliff. Particularly in the early part of the book when he is very troubled with trouble at school and at home. A very easy formatting was to assemble the book without the nice InDesign formatting and let it be pretty much one straight forward document with no indentation for paragraphs, an extra space between paragraphs, no italics, no centered headings, and no breaks between chapters. Or I could use the CSS styles that are available in InDesign. I have tested what I have so far on the Sony e-reader PRS 300 and it is looking good. According to Adobe it should look equally fine on the Nook and the IPad. Apparently I'll need to strip out the coding to convert to the Kindle.
I'm looking for someone with a Nook, and IPad, and Sony Reader to test out what I've got. If you are interested, e-mail me and we'll test it out in an actual download. You can best contact me in the comment section at the end of this posting
Respectfully,
Kenneth Fenter,
Author/publisher of The Ruin

No comments: