Tuesday, May 4, 2010

E-book version of The Ruin on the way!

I am so stoked today! I just viewed the first three chapters of The Ruin on a Sony Reader. My daughter got a Sony PRS-300 for Christmas. It is pretty much an entry level on the market. I just got my upgrade to InDesign CS5 on May 1st and along with that the capability of exporting a file in EPUB format. The format read by Sony, Nook, and IPad, according to the guru's at Adobe. Adobe has wonderful online video tutorials, that walk people like me through the process and for the past four days I have been experimenting with my book layout which was done in InDesign CS4.
A print version of a file is different from an e-book file. If I had not taken the classes in web and blog design back last fall and winter then the task would have seemed insurmountable to my 70 year old mind, but all that allowed me to understand enough of what was going on to plow ahead with it. What I've got so far is a pretty good looking file that looks a lot better than what I've been seeing poured through some of the mills offered by some of the services. I'm not sure what will happen with the file when it is converted to the Kindle, which the Adobe advisers say is available. But apparently it won't look as nice as it does in the file that is going into the Sony, Nook, and IPad. From the way the test looked on my daughter's reader, I'm heading into the rest of the book to test it out.
It works even better on the Adobe Digital Reader which can be downloaded and run on any of the small Windows driven netbooks. They are a little large to pack around in the purse, but small enough to carry around while travelling and a lot larger screen to read it on.
I will announce with the book is ready in digital form and how it can be available and pricing. It will be reasonable.
Yea!
Respectfully,
Kenneth Fenter

No comments: