Friday, February 5, 2010

What a Week!

What a week it has been. The book was released to the public on Monday and there was an order in the mail off the website the same day. Now the debate. Do I cash the check or frame it? Is it the same if I photo copy it and frame the photo copy? So the days, weeks, into months and then into years haven't been a wash after all.

I've struggled a good part of the week trying to make the website work. I actually taught a class in web design the year I retired. The kids in the class all were whizzes who didn't need or want any help. Several of them were actually making a living at the time designing and running web sites for commercial clients downtown. A couple of them were sophomores in high school. The sites they were designing were simple one or two pages and a domain. They had no idea how to make several pages in a row or make them follow themes, link them together and so on. My job was to show them how to draw a design on paper that they could sit down to their computer and translate to computer code. There weren't as many programs out with templates as now.

My other main job was to hustle up some funds by writing writing grants, begging and borrowing cast off computers for our classroom. Our handicap was the kids and I were working in a PC world in a district that supported only Mac's.

This week I would have given anything for a visit from one of those sophomores who would now be a 28 year old programmer, who probably has his or own web consulting business, drop by for a cup of coffee.

But tonight I think it is running. Tomorrow I can concentrate on seeing if I can get it recognized by the Googles and Bings and Oh My's.

Respectfully submitted
Kenneth Fenter

No comments: