Thursday, October 25, 2012

Part II of the "Gifted Hands: Sainō no aru te" story

I've begun writing Part II of the Gifted Hands: Sainō no aru te story. I don't have a working title yet. If I had one, it might be Nagasaki Spring. But I'm sure that won't be the final title. It works for saving the manuscript for now.

We were in Springfield last Saturday for the Springfield High School Hall of Fame for the induction of several teachers that I worked with over my career and the following week was clear so we continued on from there down to Bandon by the Sea. It is a different part of the Oregon sea coast that we usually go to. Lora's quilters group come here on retreat once a year. A big house with a great room with two sets of picture windows looking out onto the ocean. Some days, like right now as I write this it is glorious with the sun shining. At other times it is raining.

Lora sets her sewing machine up in front one picture window and I set the laptop up in front of the other. We interrupt each other often if we see something to share. And of course Beau the Jack Russel points out just about everything that passes by especially the dog watchers.

The whole story was too big to fit into one volume so I broke it into two parts. Most of the first part took up the month of December, 1977. The second part takes back up in March as the frigid winds from Korea shift allowing the more benevolent Pacific breezes to once again bring spring to the Nagasaki peninsula.

On Monday it was good that I was writing on one particular chapter while down here at Bandon looking out at the Ocean while the sun was shining and the grass on the bank of the bluff is green, as I understand there was snow on the ground back at Bend. It was easier to imagine spring here (by the sea) than there in Bend.... Ken.

No comments: