Sunday, April 11, 2010

Changing Technology a good and a bad thing Part III

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bull-E-The-New-World-of-Online-Cruelty/262508581777?ref=mf
This is Part III of this discussion of Changing Technology the good and the bad. Probably those of you reading this know a whole lot more about the technology that I'm talking about than I do. I use technology, put some of it together, but I am not a technician. I can trouble shoot up to a point and then I have to get on the phone. I use primarily software that edits video, digital photography, word processing and document design. I have made video DVD's using DVD software and am learning web design using Dreamweaver. Most of it is self taught.
I think technology has returned the individual to a time when everyone can express themselves the way our Founding Fathers intended. People like Thomas Paine, Ben Franklin, and such printed their own newsletters and circulated them. Now through the advent of You Tube, home video editors  such as myself have an outlet, although I have not used it.

So what is so bad about that?

Go to the link above and read the discussion there. Bull-E is the blog run by a columnist who writes for an online service of the Washington Post/Newsweek Interactive. The writer is Emile Brazelton. She is writing a series of columns on the on-line bullying that has led to suicides in small towns across the country.

Along with the flood of communication technology that allows people to connect easily have come the social networks. I enjoy a couple of them myself. Through the social networks we can keep in touch with those who have helped shape our lives down through the years. We can now share in their joy as each child grows into adulthood and grandchildren are born. We can see photos of our colleague's rally squad competing in nationals. And so on and so on.

Because we as a society have either condoned or turned a blind eye toward harassment in schools and in the workplace, it has found a ready breeding ground in the electronic world.

And that's too bad. It will be much harder to bring it under control.

I suggest you check out the link above and other columns by Ms. Brazelton who is following the problem of on-line bullying nationally.

Respectfully submitted,
Kenneth Fenter

No comments: