Monday, January 24, 2011

Gaijin! Gaijin! Third Edition by Kenneth Fenter just released! Jan. 24, 2011

       I am proud to announce the release of Gaijin! Gaijin! An American Family in Japan, Third Edition. I approved the proof this morning and it is available for sale on my printer's website. (printer website) It will be available by the end of the week on Amazon, and on the Arborwoodpress.com website as soon as I get the page updated. 
       I'm excited to get this edition back into circulation. I periodically get requests for it from folk who are heading off to teach in Japan or who are doing a home stay or other cultural exchange. Even after all this time the feedback I get is that it holds up.
       I wrote some additional comments in the Introduction. Put many more photos in the chapters where they fit. Photos are from the slides that I took at the time and now I wish I had had the equipment then that I have now. Digitizing slides is an art in itself and to do it well requires specialized equipment. Mine does so so. If I could have afforded to do the book in color, I might have gone the extra mile.
       Unfortunately the printing costs have gone up since 1987 so I can no longer offer it at the price I did back then, but I held it as close as I could at $19.95. The Print on Demand industry lets us do this now without investing on boxes of books mildewing in the garage. 
       I put the e-book out there a month or so ago, so that is also an option. Unfortunately it does not have the photos as there is a file size limit that I had to adhere to. Someday that may change and when it does I'll change the e-file to be the same as the print file.
       So to those who would recommend this book to a friend who is interested in the Japanese Culture or who is studying the Japanese language, "Dōmo arigato gozaimasu."
       
Respectfully,
Gaijin, Kenneth Fenter 

No comments: